The suggestion that only black market vape products are connected to vape-related deaths and illness is inaccurate, if you ask two lawyers representing the mother of 18-year-old David Wakefield who suffered from asthma and died while fighting a two-year addiction to Juul Labs Inc.’s nicotine e-cigarettes.
Angela Nehmens and Mahzad Kazempour Hite filed what they say they believe is the first wrongful death lawsuit against e-cigarette giant, Juul Labs. The lawsuit, filed Tuesday in federal district court for the Northern District of California, was brought by Wakefield’s mother, Lisa Vail, on behalf of her son’s estate.
“He continued using Juul and he passed away in the middle of the night,” Nehmens told Yahoo Finance. “His mom has described it to me as someone who came in the middle of the night and stole her son, because otherwise a healthy, active 18-year-old boy doesn’t die out of nowhere. And we know that there are studies that demonstrate that Juul can cause asthma or exacerbate existing asthma.”