According to the LA Times, a Riverside County Superior Court jury awarded a California woman nearly $1.9 million in a lawsuit after she was burned by an exploding e-cigarette battery in March 2013.
After plugging her e-cigarette device into her car’s charger, Jennifer Ries said liquid started dripping from the battery. Then, with a loud bang, the battery exploded.
Flames shot out, catching Ries’ dress and seat on fire. Chemicals spewed onto her lap, leaving her with severe burns. Ries said she sustained second-degree burns on her legs, buttocks and hand.
The lawsuit was brought against the electronic cigarette’s distributor, VapCigs; its wholesaler, Cartons 2 Go; and the Corona store where she bought it, Tobacco Expo.
- Disorders & Diseases
- Public Health
- Products & Treatment
- Department Management
- Edition Archive