Healio reports on a large study that assessed cancer risk in patients taking aspirin wth and without clopidogrel.
During the study period, there were 21,974 new cases of cancer. Of these new cancers, a majority were solid malignancies (87%), while the rest were hematological malignancies (13%). The most common cancer types were breast (13.3%), colorectal (13.7%), prostate (9.5%) and lung (7.4%).
During long-term follow-up, the researchers found that participants receiving aspirin with (HR = 0.46; 95% CI, 0.44-0.49) or without clopidogrel (HR = 0.54; 95% CI, 0.52-0.56) had a 54% and 46% lower risk for cancer than nonusers, respectively. In addition, participants receiving clopidogrel and aspirin had an 8% reduction in cancer risk compared with those receiving aspirin only (HR = 0.92; 95% CI, 0.86-0.97).
Read more at www.healio.com