A total of 179 patients at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center were exposed to Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) during endoscopic procedures between October and January, a UCLA spokesperson said.
The bacteria may have been a “contributing factor” in the deaths of two patients, a university statement said. UCLA said infections may have been transmitted through two endoscopes used during the diagnosis and treatment of pancreatic and bile-duct problems.
CRE can cause infections of the bladder or lungs, leading to coughing, fever or chills. CRE infections have been reported in every state except Idaho, Alaska and Maine, according to the CDC.
- Disorders & Diseases
- Public Health
- Products & Treatment
- Department Management
- Edition Archive