The bacteria that causes Legionnaires’ disease was found in rooms of a hotel in a popular Missouri tourist town associated with Mark Twain, and health officials said Tuesday that one of three people who contracted the disease after staying there has died.
Missouri health officials and the CDC launched an investigation last month of the Best Western on the River Hotel in Hannibal. The hotel sits a block from the home where Mark Twain spent his childhood, and sites connected to the author attract about 500,000 visitors to Hannibal each year.
Hannibal, in northeast Missouri, is about 20 miles down the Mississippi River from Quincy, Illinois, where an outbreak of Legionnaires’ disease occurred earlier this year at the Illinois Veterans Home, contributing to 12 deaths and sickening dozens more.
Health officials said all three people who became ill had stayed at the hotel over the previous eight months. One of them died. Hobart said he could not provide information about whether the death was specifically due to the respiratory illness or give any information about that person.
- Disorders & Diseases
- Public Health
- Products & Treatment
- Department Management
- Edition Archive