There’s a Code for That
Marian Benjamin (edit note)
- International Statistical Classification of Diseases and Related Health Problems. Available at: www.lumrix.net/icd-9_info.php. Accessed February 6, 2012
- AMA calls on Congress to block ICD-10 mandate on doctors. Available at: www.ama-assn.org/amednews/2012/02/06/gvsb0206.htm. Accessed February 6, 2012.
- Letter to The Honorable Kathleen Sebelius from James L. Madara, MD. Available at: www.ama-assn.org/resources/…/icd-10-comment-letter-02feb2012.pdf. Accessed February 6, 2012.
- Who says ICD-10 doesn’t have any benefits? These guys do … Available at: shimcode.blogspot.com/2012.
- Plummer AL, ed. Coding & Billing Quarterly. Available at: www.thoracic.org/clinical/coding-and-billing/index.php. Accessed February 6, 2012.
Are Rapid Response Teams the Answer?
Michael V. Frey, RRT-NPS
- Litvak E, Pronovost P. Rapid response teams sign of poor bed management. JAMA. 2010;304(12):1375-1376.
- Hospital beds by country OECD. Available at: www.NationMaster.com/red/graph/hea_hos_bed-health-hospital-beds&b_printable=1. Accessed January 23, 2012.
- Buist MD, Moore GE, Bernard SA, Waxman BP, Anderson JN, Nguyen TV. Effects of a medical emergency team on reduction of incidence of and mortality from unexpected cardiac arrests in hospital: preliminary study. BMJ. 2002;324:387-90.
- Braithwaite RS, DeVita MA. Mehidhara R, et al. Use of medical emergency team (MET) responses to reduce hospital cardiopulmonary arrests. Qualy Saf Health Care. 2004;13:251-4.
- Bellomo R. Goldsmith D, Uchino S, et al. Prospective controlled trial of effect of medical emergency team on postoperative morbidity and mortality rates. Crit Care Med. 2004;32:916-21.
- Goldhill DR, Worthington L, Mulcahy A, Tarling M, Sumner A. The patient-at-risk team: identifying and managing seriously ill ward patients. Anesthesia. 1999;54:853-60.
- Hillman K, Chen J, Cretikos M, et al. Introduction of the medical emergency team (MERIT) system: a cluster-randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2005;365:2091-7.
- Coldwell J. Rapid Response teams are in place, but do they work? Available at: www.acphospitalist.org/archives/2011/05/rrt.htm. Accessed January 23, 2012.
- Rapid Response and Medical Emergency Teams, Available at: www.resuscitationcentral.com/documentation/rapid-response-medical-emergency-team. Accessed January 23, 2012.
- Institute for Healthcare Improvement. Available at: www.ihi.org/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed January 23, 2012.
Management of the Pediataric Airway: Are All Kids Difficult?
Mark Grzeskowiak, RRT
- Rose DK, Cohen MM.The airway: problems and predictions in 18,500 patients. Can J Anaesth. 1994;41:372-83 .
- Rocke DA, Murray WB, Rout CC, Gouws E. Relative risk analysis of factors associated with difficult intubation in obstetric anesthesia. Anesthesiology. 1992;77:67-73.
- Sakles JC, Laurin EG, Rantapaa AA, Panacek EA. Airway management in the emergency department: a one-year study of 610 tracheal intubations. Ann Emerg Med. 1998;31:325-32.
- Levitan RM, Everett WW, Ochroch EA. Limitations of difficult airway prediction in patients intubated in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 2004;44:307-13
- Losek JD, Olson LR, Dobson JV, Glaeser PW. Tracheal intubation practice and maintaining skill competency: survey of pediatric emergency department medical directors. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2008;24:294-9.
- Hsu A, Heshka S, Janumala I, et al. Larger mass of high-metabolic rate organs does not explain higher resting energy expenditure in children. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003;77:1506-11.
- Patel R, Lenczyk M, Hannallah RS, McGill WA. Age and the onset of desaturation in apnoeic children Can J Anaesth. 1994;41:771-4.
- Arens R, McDonough JM, Costarino AT, et al. Magnetic resonance imaging of the upper airway structure of children with obstructive sleep apnea syndrome. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;164:698-703.
- Weiss M, Knirsch W, Krethschmar O, et al. Tracheal tube-tip displacement in children during head-neck movement: a radiological assessment. Br J Anaesth. 2006;96:486-91.
- Keens TG, Bryan AC, Levison H, Ianuzzo CD. Developmental pattern of muscle fiber types in human ventilatory muscles. J Appl Physiol. 1978;44:909-13.
- González Valdepeña H, Wald ER, Rose E, Ungkanont K, Casselbrant ML. Epiglottitis and Haemophilus influenzae immunization: the Pittsburgh experience-a five-year review. Pediatrics. 1995;96:424-7.
- Cantrell, RW, Bell RA, Morioka WT. Acute epiglottitis: intubation versus tracheostomy. Laryngoscope. 1978;88:994-1005.
- DeSoto H. Epiglottitis and croup in airway obstruciton in children. Anesthesiol Clin North Am. 1998;16:853-868
- Mehta, VM, Har-EI G, Goldstein NA. Postobstructive pulmonary edema after laryngospasm in the otolaryngology patient. Laryngoscope. 2006;116:1693-6.
- Silva PS, Monteiro Neto H, Andrade MM, Neves CV. Negative-pressure pulmonary edema: a rare complication of upper airway obstruction in children. Pediatr Emerg Care. 2005;21:751-4.
- Kopp KH. [Post-obstructive pulmonary edema as a complication of endotracheal tube obstruction]. Anasthesiol Intensivmed Notfallmed Schmerzther [German]. 2000;35:721-4.
Oxygen Therapy in Stable CHF Patients with Nocturnal Hypoxemia
Joseph Lewarski, BS, RRT, FAARC
- Yamani M, Massie BM. Congestive heart failure: insights from epidemiology, implications for treatment. Mayo Clin Proc. 1993;68:1214-8
- Lloyd-Jones D, Adams RJ, Brown TM, et al. Heart disease and stroke statistics – 2010 update. a report from the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2010;121:948-54. e-46-e215.
- Jencks SF, Williams MV, Coleman EA. Rehospitalizations among patients in the Medicare fee-for-service program. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:1418-28.
- Gottlieb JD, Scwartz AR, Marshall J, et al. Hypoxia, not the frequency of sleep apnea, induces hemodynamic stress in patients with heart failure. J Am Coll Cardiol. 2009;54:1706-12.
- Staniforth AD, Kinnear WJM, Starling R, Crowely AJ. Nocturnal desaturation in patients with stable heart failure. Heart. 1998;79:394-9
- Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. National Coverage Determination (NCD) for Home Use of Oxygen (240.1. Available at: www.cms.gov/medicare-coverage-database/details/ncd-details.aspx?NCDId=169&ncdver=1&DocID=240.2&SearchType=Advanced&bc=IAAAABAAAAAA&. Accessed January 18, 2012.
- Sasuyama S, Izumi T, Seino Y, Ueshima K, Asanoi H; CHF-HOT Study Group. Effects of nocturnal oxygen therapy on outcomes measures in patients with chronic heart failure and Cheyne-Stokes respiration. Circ J. 2006;70:1-7.
- Shigemitsu M, Nishio K, Kusuyama T, Itoh S, Konno N, Katigiri T. Nocturnal oxygen therapy prevents progress of congestive heart failure with central sleep apnea. Int J Cardiology 2007;115:54-60.
- Javaheri S, Ahmed M, Parker TJ, Brown CR. Effects of nasal O2 on sleep-related disordered breathing in ambulatory patients with stable heart failure. Sleep. 1999;22:1101-6.
- Staniforth AD, Kinnear WJM, Starling R, Hetmanski DJ, Cowley AJ. Effect of oxygen on sleep quality, cognitive function and sympathetic activity in patients with chronic heart failure and Cheyne-Stokes respiration. Eur Heart J. 1998;19:922-8.
- Krachman SL, D’Alonzo GE, Berger TJ, Eisen HJ. Comparison of oxygen therapy with nasal continuous positive airway pressure on Cheyne-Stokes respiration during sleep in congestive heart failure. CHEST. 1999;116:1550-7.
- Bradley TD, Logan AG, Kimoff RJ, et al. Continuous positive airway pressure for central sleep apnea and heart failure. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:2025-33.
- Buckle P, Millar T, Kryger M. The effect of short-term nasal CPAP on Cheyne-Stokes respiration in congestive heart failure. Chest. 1992;102:31-5.
- Davies RJ, Harrington KJ, Omerod OJ, Stradling JR. Nasal continuous positive airway pressure in chronic heart failure with sleep disordered breathing. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993;147:630-4.
- Arzt M, Bradley TD. Treatment of sleep apnea in heart failure. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2006;173:1300-8.
Do Heartburn Medications Increase the risk of Contracting Pneumonia?
- Desjardins T. Clinical Manifestations and Assessment of Respiratory Disease. Maryland Heights, Mo: Mosby Inc; 2011:299,233-234.
- Eom CS, Jeon CY, Lim JW, Cho EG, Park SM, Lee KS. Use of acid-suppressive drugs and risk of pneumonia: a systematic review and meta-analysis. CMAJ. 2011;183:310-9.).
- CAG Clinical Affairs Committee. Community-acquired pnerumonia and acid-suppressive drugs: position statement. Can J Gastroenterol. 2006;20:119-21.
- Heartburn Drugs May Raise Pneumonia Risk. One of every 200 hospital patients taking acid-suppressing meds will develop pneumonia, study finds. Available at: www.businessweek.com/lifestyle/content/healthday/647700.html. Accessed February 16, 2012.
- Roughead EE, Ramsay EN, Pratt NL, Ryan P, Gilbert AL. Proton-pump inhibitors and the risk of antibiotic use and hospitalisation for pneumonia. Med J Aust. 2009;190:114-6.
- Eurich DT, Sadowski CA, Simpson SH, Marrie TJ, Majumdar SR. Recurrent community-acquired pneumonia in patients starting acid-suppressing drugs. Am J Med. 2010;123:47-53.
- Laheij RJ, Sturkenboom MC, Hassing RJ, Dieleman J, Stricker BH, Jansen JB. Risk of community-acquired pneumonia and use of gastric acid-suppressive drugs. JAMA. 2004;292:1955-60.