The CDC’s weekly ‘FluView’ report on influenza activity in the US reported a “sharp rise” the week of December 17 to 23. Highlights of the report include:
- The most frequently identified influenza virus subtype reported by public health laboratories during week 51 was influenza A(H3).
- Three influenza-associated pediatric deaths were reported.
- A cumulative rate of 8.7 laboratory-confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations per 100,000 population was reported.
- The proportion of outpatient visits for influenza-like illness (ILI) was 5.0%, which is above the national baseline of 2.2%.
- The geographic spread of influenza in 36 states was reported as widespread; Puerto Rico and 13 states reported regional activity; one state reported local activity.