Walgreens now offers enhanced personalized therapy management support to help people with cystic fibrosis live healthier lives. The Connected Care Cystic Fibrosis Management Program is provided through Cystic Fibrosis Services, a Walgreens Alliance Pharmacy (CFS Inc), and is designed to help CF patients manage the many life-saving medications as well as special diet, physical therapy and exercise needed to stay healthy.
Walgreens Connected Care Cystic Fibrosis Management Program provides extensive medication education, support and ongoing guidance. The program is offered through CFS pharmacies and will expand to select Walgreens sites.
“Connected Care extends far beyond just ensuring CF patients take their medications correctly. We work closely with each patient to identify and overcome individual challenges and barriers,” said Barbara S. Putignano, RPh, vice president of CFS Inc. “Our pharmacists are experts in CF medications and proactively provide patients the support and guidance they need to ensure they adhere to therapy and live healthier, less stressful lives.”
The Connected Care CF program was developed with input from two external advisory boards comprising doctors, nurse practitioners, registered nurses and social workers. The enhanced therapy management program features comprehensive care services and support provided by CF specially-trained Walgreens pharmacists and staff:
- Medication-specific education at the start of therapy and throughout treatment, including medication administration, regimen and how to store and handle the medication
- Monthly refill reminder calls that include assessment of adherence, monitoring for side effects and guidance in managing them
- Identification of patient-specific challenges to adherence and compliance and help in overcoming those barriers
- Pharmacist review of prescriptions and over-the-counter medications to identify possible drug interactions
- Reporting of adherence data and side effects to the patient’s physician and care team
- Coordinated delivery to ensure orders are filled only when needed
- Availability of pharmacy staff 24/7 online and by phone for general pharmacy questions
- Disorders & Diseases
- Public Health
- Products & Treatment
- Department Management